Saturday, March 16, 2013

Artfelt Paper

A couple of weekends ago, I went to the Sew Expo in Puyallup with Mom and Michelle.  I purchased a felting kit.  It was for making a camera or whatever case.  It takes a little bit of needle felting and wet felting processes, but it is so much easier and faster than either.  You start with Artfelt paper and wool.  Place a layer of wool roving in the paper and tack it down with a felting needle just so the wool does not fall off when you pick up the paper.  Then, you add a layer of colored wool in whatever design you wish.  You need to tack that down, too.  Once you have your design, you put a towel in a shallow pan and wet the towel so it is saturated.  Place the project on top of the towel, paper side down, and press to wet the project.  Pour more water on top, so it is very wet.  Place a piece of plastic on top, and press to ensure the piece is saturated.  You then roll it up, with the plastic, around a small towel, place in an old sock, knot the sock, and toss in the dryer for about 15 minutes with a few clean, dry towels.  When you pull it out, it is felted.  next, you lay it in the sink, paper side up, and pour boiling water over it to dissolve the (potato-based) paper.  Then, itonly needs to dry and be sewn together.  It was so easy!  Here is my project before felting, after felting, and when the case is sewn together.  Unfortunately, I forgot to take pictures of the kit and in the process of putting all the roving together.

Before Felting


After Felting and Completion

At the Sew Expo, I also purchased a large piece of Artfelt Paper (I guess I was optimistic that it would work and be easy).  I need to try now with my own wool to see how it goes.  I'll keep you posted!

No comments: